Want to join the AsapSCIENCE team?
We’re an educational channel on YouTube (http://youtube.com/AsapSCIENCE) that creates weekly science videos which are fun, engaging, and relatable - and we’re looking for a skilled researcher/writer to join our team!
THE JOB DESCRIPTION:
We’re looking for a science enthusiast who loves researching, writing, and making science accessible for the masses! Be sure to watch a few of our videos to get a sense of our style. The main responsibilities of the position will be to:
1) Take part in creative briefings/brainstorming sessions for topics - we’re looking for somebody with outside of the box thinking here. Yes, we cover basic biological phenomena, but we also love putting a spin on a simple question.
2) Research - you would be responsible for full scope research on topics. This ranges from using the web, using peer reviewed scientific journals (sites like PubMed), and reading reputable science books.
3) Writing - not looking for a fancy or frilly writer (though it never hurts to have great writing skills!). Ultimately, we want somebody who can take complex science information - or multiple concepts to create a single, fun idea - and strip it down for people who know very little about science. Knowing when to keep information, and when to let it go is essential.
1. You have to LOVE SCIENCE!
2. Degree in Science (Biology related fields are a plus!)
3. Deep understanding of how to research and find legitimate, peer-reviewed sources.
4. Writing skills - concise and playful is ideal! We’re a bit tongue-in-cheek at times.
5. Ability to work independently
6. Ability to communicate effectively in a small team
HOW TO APPLY:
Send the following information to AsapSCIENCEjobs [at] gmail [dot] com:
1. Your resume (Please include your age and city)
2. A short summary (1 paragraph) of why you’re perfect for the job
3. Create/outline a unique idea for an AsapSCIENCE episode that you could see yourself writing. No need to fully write the episode, but a high level overview of what the topic is, how the episode would flow, and what you would title the video is sufficient! We’re looking for creative thinkers here - not necessarily just pulling from simple biological phenomena (though, if you’ve got a great idea that is simple and think would really connect with our audience, by all means!).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, September 5, 2014
We are located in Toronto, Canada - being local is definitely a plus, but if you really wow us, we’re open to working remotely! Also, if you know someone who’s perfect for this position, make sure you pass this on to them.